Spring is here! And that, my friends, is worth celebrating! My oldest daughter is in preschool, and a few times a year they have a celebration and shared snack at school. Last week they had a Spring party and I couldn’t resist these sweet little lady bug pretzels! We usually stick to healthy snacks, but Vienna loves lady bugs and the colour red, so I knew she’d be especially excited to share these with her friends! These would also work great for a Valentine’s party, too!
Did I mention this pretty little snack is simple? So simple. As a working Mama I’ll always share a snack that looks great and is easy to prep! #momwin I didn’t intend to share these, but I received so many questions and comments on Instagram I had to put together a little post. So forgive me for the slightly messy chocolate, I *may* have been making these at 11 pm. 😉 Scroll down for the recipe! If you are looking for another fun Spring party snack be sure to check out these adorable Soccer Cupcakes!
How to Make Ladybug Pretzel Snacks
- Parchment or wax paper
- 1 bag of pretzel twists, larger size if available
- 1 bag of red candy melts
- Small amount of baking chocolate, dark or milk
- Black decorator icing*
- Candy eyeballs
- Writing Tip
- Lay the pretzels on a cutting board covered in parchment paper**
- Set aside 16 candy melts (or # equal to the desired total number of lady bugs)
- Melt the remaining red candy melts, stiring frequently
- Using a teaspoon, spoon melted red chocolate onto each pretzel, carefully smoothing it with the back side of the spoon. I used a couple of teaspoons per pretzel you essentially want to fill up the pretzel “holes” with the chocolate).
- Let pretzels sit and dry for approximately 20 minutes or until chocolate is hardened
- Using a writing tip, apply black icing dots on the lady bug
- Melt a small amount of dark or milk chocolate
- Individually dip remaining candy melts into melted chocolate until fully coated in brown and immediately place onto each lady bug body (as the head). *** Make sure to apply it at the single rounded side of the pretzel (i.e. not the two loop side, which will be the wings).
- Carefully apply eyes to each head while chocolate is still wet
- Let dry until ready to serve!
Easy peasy! I hope you enjoy these adorable snacks as much as we do! xo
Tips & Tricks!
- *I prefer buying pre-made decorator icing in a package that you can just add a decorating tip on- easier and no mess!
- **Using parchment paper is essential to avoid a huge mess and broken lady bugs (take my word for it…)
- *** You could also use any round chocolate candy. Don’t forget you will need some sort of icing to attach the head to the body and the eyes to the head if you go this route.
I love these!! So cute and seems to be easy even for somebody like me! Lol. Thanks so much!
SO easy Linette! My kind of recipe 😉
What a cute little treat! I can’t wait to make things like this when I have kids.
Thanks Kate! I have so much fun making my kids fun treats!
These are absolutely adorable! I’ve been trying to find a cute little snack for my daughter to take to school. Thanks for the idea!
You are welcome Cassie! These were a hit with all the kids!
these are super cute! great job!
Thanks Karen! They turned out pretty great!
Omg how freaking cute are these!! My kids would love them and they are super easy to make. Pinning this!
Yay! Hope you do make them, they are so easy and so cuuuuttee!
What a cute idea!! Never would have thought of it. Will have to try this
Thanks Brittany! So simple and so cute, I hope you give them a try!
These are absolutely the cutest!
Aren’t they though? And so easy to put together!
Thanks Rachel! I love how they turned out too!
Oh wow these are too cute! What an adorable idea! I bet the kids LOVED them. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Maya! They were a hit!
I stink at these types of projects, but this does look pretty easy – and turn out so cute!!!!! Your little one is adorable!
Don’t worry these are SO easy! This pics for this post definitely weren’t staged, and I had put these together quite quickly! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
oh my goodness! These are so cute and SHE is so adorable. 😉
Cuteness all around, right? Thanks Shannon!
I love lady bugs! Those snacks are so fun
Thanks Amanda! My daughter loves lady bugs so much so they are her fave treat!
Omg these are so cute! I may have to make these for the kids.
They are so easy too Mandy! I hope your kids love them!
What a cute idea! So easy and fun Definitely making these for my kids!
Thanks Clair! I hope they LOVE them (I know they will!)
Beyond precious little one – the ladybugs are cute too 🙂
These are THE absolute cutest things tgat I have seen all day. So easy and such a wow factor!!
Yes!!! Easy to make and great presentation always a win in our house 😉 Thanks for checking them out!
It is so fun when the little ones have parties like this. I love the pretzel ladybugs, such a cute fun idea.
Thank you! They were such a hit and so fun to whip up!
Oh so cute and so fun!!! Perfect for spring!
Aren’t they sweet? Such a fun spring snack idea!
The ladybug pretzels are adorable, almost too cute to eat!
omg this is seriously the cutest idea ever! I think my little dude would love these!
How cute are these?! Love snacking on things equally cute and tasty!
These are adorable! What a cute idea!
Thanks so much Laura! They turned out so sweet and were a hit with the kids!
OMG these little lady bugs are the cutest things ever! All the kids at preschool would go bananas for these.
Yes! They go bananas for anything with eyes on it, LOL
These are so adorable! My four year old would love them.
Thank you! I love how simple they are too!
These are so adorable! My kids would love them! I can only imagine the funny things the boys would say!
What a great idea. I absolutely love it. I will do that with my kids. Such a fun way to celebrate spring!
Oh my yumminess. These are the sweetest looking snacks I’ve ever seen.